Skip to main content

Finding Faith In The Road That Lies Ahead

Photo: "Open Road" by missduck08 on DevianArt



​Let me share with you all something that is very personal to me: lately I've really been struggling with faith.

Lest you misunderstand, let me first say that my testimony is strong and secure. That will never change. But lately I've been consumed with fear about my own personal progress.

Many years ago I made the decision to live my life by the Spirit. I know not all the answers will be given to us and we need to figure out a lot on our own, but I always try to remain worthy of the Spirit so I will be ready to receive guidance and direction when it is available. This has been a wonderful decision and it has greatly enhanced the quality of my life. But the thing is, when you prove to God that He can trust you, He'll begin to ask you to do more things that require YOU to trust HIM. And that can be a major test of your faith.

Over the last several months God had asked me to do some really scary things, like remaining at my part-time job even though I have bills to pay and putting unimaginable amounts of time and effort into projects that I'm not even sure will ever succeed. It's scary. I'm about to turn 26 and will soon need my own health insurance, which adds even more bills to the pile. I honestly don't know how I'm going to make it--except on faith, which, as I mentioned before, I'm struggling with.

The day I received those promptings and I began this current course, I felt that it was right - so much so that I immediately quit my nearly $1000/week job to go back to working part-time for the Church. And every time I've felt afraid and desperately pleaded to God for guidance, His response has been the same: "Just trust me. I know what I'm doing. Follow my direction with exactness, and when the time is right, I will show you the way."

But last night as I opened my evening prayer, the first thing I said was this: "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified of what you're asking me to do. I'm honestly afraid that the sea will not part and I'll end up underwater."

Even though I felt it was right, even though I have had countless witnesses telling me it will be okay, I still have this overwhelming fear. Satan knows that good things are in store for me if I continue on this path, and so he is doing everything he can to get me to quit. He almost succeed a couple times. But despite my fears, I've come too far to turn back now; I'm past the point of no return. I'm either going to end up a broke, miserable, failure, or an incredibly grateful (and humbled) man. The closer I get to God's deadline, the tighter I brace for impact, and the more I hope that it will be a smooth landing.

And it is that hope that I'm holding on to.

This morning I had the most incredible privilege of singing in the choir at a meeting at which Elder M. Russell Ballard presided and spoke (a miracle in and of itself, but a story for another time). After closing his remarks, the choir sang "Redeemer of Israel" - my favorite hymn. As we triumphantly came to the final verse, I openly wept. I just couldn't hold back what I was feeling.

"As children of Zion,
Good tidings for us.
The tokens already appear.
Fear not, and be just,
For the kingdom is ours.
The hour of redemption is near."

Even though I have fears. Even though I have doubts. Even though I am sometimes utterly terrified of what lies ahead, I know that God loves me. I don't know HOW He loves me, but I know that He does. And that is ultimately what gets me through to another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just be you

I have spent years trying to forget most of the things I am about to write. I'm going to tell you about the most miserable time in my life. My experiences during this time are the single worst memories I have. The only reason I am doing this is because I feel like there is someone out there that needs to hear it. There is someone out there that needs to know how I overcame the hardest trial of my life. This story does have a happy ending, but I went through hell to get there. So here we go. This is me in 2004: I was a scrawny kid just out of elementary school, headed into junior high; scared, but also excited; pretty much your average 7th grader. I remember my first day at Elk Ridge Middle School. It took me so long to get my locker open that I was late to my first period. Once again I was your typical seventh grader sprinting through the halls with a map of the school trying to find his class. I remember that I was especially excited for this one: Tech Lab. I'd alwa

"Thy will be done...even though it's the hardest freaking thing I've ever had to do."

One of the hardest things you will ever have to do is accept God's will when everything inside of you wants the opposite. It's difficult when you try for months to make something happen and then God tells you no; that it's time to stop; that it's time to move on. It feels like my soul has been ripped from inside of me and I'm left empty; wandering without a purpose. I know that God is real and I know that he wants the best for me, but it's so freaking hard to accept! How do you move on? How do you start over? I really really really don't want to do this!....Please don't make me do it!......please...... *sigh* .....ok.....I'll do it.....

Words of Wisdom

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on this blog. These last few months have been some of the most trying, as well as the most educational months of my life. I learned so much from the trials I faced and so I'd like to share with you some words of wisdom. As you can tell from my last post (" Broken "), life hit me pretty hard. When people ask me what I've been doing lately, I tell them I've been hibernating, because truthfully, that's the best description I can think of. Most of my recent trials have involved relationships with people. I've was betrayed by family members, cheated by friends, and at times I've even felt abandoned by God. When I was younger, I discovered that when a room or a drawer or a backpack is so messy that it becomes unmanageable, it's often easier to just remove everything and only put back what's important rather than trying to sort through the mess. So that's what I did with my life. The time I